Hints for Using the Co-op
We are a small grocery store offering many of our products in bulk. Wrapped items are generally individually priced, but bulk items are sold by the pound. For this reason, shopping at our store is a little different than shopping at big-box grocery stores.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
• Food may be purchased pre-packaged or in bulk. Pre-packaged food is generally marked with the individual price. We have dairy items in returnable bottles, fresh produce from local farms every day, frozen items, YFC-made ready-to-eat items from our Deli Kitchen and Bakery, and a big selection of Michigan-made products of every kind.
• Bulk food may be purchased in small amounts for just what you need, or larger amounts can be purchased for bigger savings. Through our Special Order Program you can order items we don’t carry as well as bulk items in case quantities and receive 30-50% discounts off regular prices.
• You can bring your own recycled containers from home to refill in our large Bulk Section. If they are heavy, be sure to weigh them and note the Tare weight! Often there are clean recycled containers in the cabinet below the bulk peanut butter for your use.
• The co-op also provides new containers for a modest price. There are plastic containers near the bulk oils & sweeteners, and small paper bags near the scale counter and elsewhere for your purchase.
• Many items can be bought in bulk, including maple syrup, eggs, molasses, oils, nut butters, chocolates, gorp, flours, nuts, granola, beans, rice, pasta, baking powder, herbs, medicals, spices, salt, pepper, sugar, tea, coffee and much more!
• Bulk buying of flour, beans, pasta, etc: we ask that you weigh out your container (the Tare weight) and note the item number (PLU) of your bulk items or produce. The cashier can calculate the price and enter it right into the register with our Point Of Sale software.
• The spices, medicinals, and teas can be weighed at the scale located in the Bulk Section of the store, as above.
• Most items are eligible for a member discount. Items labeled with a yellow price tag are not, and include sale items and some dairy products.
• You are welcome to bring in extra paper and plastic grocery bags for your fellow shoppers to use! Stash them at the checkout counter. Bring in your used, clean, lidded containers for others' reuse, too — place them in the cabinet below the bulk peanut butter.
• The Co-op offers free monthly Orientations entitled, “Get to Know Your Co-op!” Lasting less than an hour, we will give a short presentation on cooperatives & YFC's history, and then take you on a short tour of the store. And we'll give you a grocery discount just for attending!